German Chancellor Angela Merkel speaks at a press conference following a videoconference with prime ministers of federal states to discuss new measures to reduce the number of Covid-19 infections on January 19.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel speaks at a press conference following a videoconference with prime ministers of federal states to discuss new measures to reduce the number of Covid-19 infections on January 19.

Photo: Philip Singer / Ball / Getty Images

Germany extends its current national lockdown until mid-February and introduces new, tougher measures as the country’s death toll continues to rise.

Chancellor Angela Merkel and her 16th state prime ministers agreed Tuesday night to extend the lockdown, which began in December, after a lengthy eight-hour debate. Stricter requirements for masks – including the use of FFP2 / N95 masks on public transport and in stores – are becoming mandatory across the country. The reinforced measures came after the German government warned of the danger of new variants of the virus.

One of the points of contention was in the discussions on the topic of schools. Ultimately, officials decided they would remain locked down but in the end, it is up to the federal states to mandate this.

CNN’s n-tv has spoken to the German public about the changes to the Covid-19 restrictions, with a woman telling the local TV channel that she was hoping the impact of the current lockdown would be clear now.

“The lockdown should have had some effects already, but we don’t see that,” she said.

Another man supported the government’s moves, saying, “They are elected officials and they will know what is best for the people.”

The changes come as the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), Germany’s national agency for disease control and prevention, released the latest coronavirus numbers, on Wednesday morning.

READ  찰스 3세의 대관식: 버킹엄 궁전에서 3일간의 축하 행사에 대한 세부 정보 공개

An additional 1,148 deaths were recorded, bringing the total number of people who died from the disease to 48,770 – the second highest daily jump since January 14, when the death toll reached 1,244.

15,974 new cases of Covid-19 were also recorded, bringing the total number in the country to 2068,002, according to the RKI.

When it comes to vaccinations, RKI said 1,195,543 people have been vaccinated so far, with 1,195,543 people receiving the first dose and 24,741 people getting the second dose.

답글 남기기

이메일 주소는 공개되지 않습니다. 필수 필드는 *로 표시됩니다

You May Also Like

바이든과 사우디 측 보좌관들은 아시아 협정을 모델로 한 방위 조약을 모색하고 있다

미국과 사우디 관리들은 미국이 긴밀한 동맹국인 일본, 한국과 체결한 강력한 군사 협정과…

이스라엘, 가자지구 자발리아 난민캠프 폭격

아나스 알 샤리프 – 로이터 화요일 가자지구 자발리아 난민캠프에 대한 이스라엘의 공습이…

푸틴, 우크라이나 국경 주변에 완충지대 구축 계획

블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령은 전쟁이 장기화되면서 우크라이나 영토와 러시아 국경 지역, 러시아가…

팔레스타인 당국, 미국에 총알 발송: NPR

라말라에 있는 멜카이트 로마 가톨릭 교회의 교구 사제인 압둘라 대주교(Archimandrite Abdullah July)가…